Ossur AFO Leaf Spring Ankle Foot Orthosis is a pre-fabricated polypropylene ankle-foot orthosis designed to support flaccid drop foot. It provides a semi-rigid section for toe clearance and support, yet has a thin, flexible footplate for easy trimming. The absence of a heel section makes the leaf spring more comfortable to wear and provides a better fit in shoes.
AFO Leaf Spring Ankle Foot Orthosis Features
- – Spasticity
- – Long term bracing need
- – M-L instability
– Severe Drop foot
– Ankle-foot deformities
- Ossur AFO Leaf Spring Ankle Foot Orthosis has excellent fit for most types of shoes
- Variable thickness throughout the orthosis provides strength
- Thin, flexible foot part is easy to trim with a pair of scissors
- Absence of heel section for improved comfort
- Injection-molded polypropylene is lightweight
- Provides good toe clearance and support
- Indications for Use:
– Drop foot secondary to CVA
– Mild drop foot secondary to other neurological pathologies
Fitting the AFO to the Shoe
- If present, remove the insole from the shoe.
- Adjust the shape of the footplate by grinding off excessive material.
- Make sure the plate covers the entire surface of the shoe sole to prevent displacement in the shoe.
- Ensure stability of the footplate on the shoe sole throughout the entire length of the shoe.
Customizing the AFO
- Insert the AFO into the shoe and have the patient don the AFO. If desired, temporarily attach the padding material.
- Check for excessive pressure points and, if necessary, remove the AFO from the patients leg and apply minimal heat (< 90Ã‚Â°) to reshape the AFO to relieve these points.
Finishing the AFO
- If desired, permanently attach the padding to the AFO.
- Attach hook and loop straps using Speed Rivets.
- The AFO is now ready for use.
- The AFO Leaf Spring is a supportive brace only and is not intended or guaranteed to prevent injury. Ossur accepts no responsibility for any injury which might occur while using this product.
- With the use of this type of device, it is possible to receive various types of skin irritation and or pressure points. If you experience any unusual discomfort while using this product, consult your health care provider immediately.
- Patients with foot neuropathy should not use this product.